Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Feb 7, 2010

Initially posted to face book Saturday, February 6, 2010 at 1:46 pm




Sorry it’s been such a while since and update! To be honest, not much has been going on. We have an appointment on Monday with the doctor from University hospital and another fetal MRI scheduled for the 15th of February. This is to try to get a more accurate picture out the artifacts (or stuff on the film that wasn’t baby).



It seems a little strange to be meeting my OB at 27 weeks but we’ll role with the punches I guess. Some news on the testing front. This was a little complicate for me so I am going to do my best to explain it. I had a blood test shortly before I went up to University Hospital in January called a triple screen. This test looks for an enzyme in my blood that may indicate that they baby’s spinal cord has been exposed to the amniotic fluid. This test was positive and the one that my OB in town referred to as indicating he may have spinal cord issues in my last note.



The amniocentesis showed was also positive for an enzyme with a super long crazy name abbreviated ACHE. So after that test comes up positive they run another test to rule out a false positive cause by fetal blood. Nobody seems to be panicking about fetal blood; it could have been introduced by the needle from the amino. If that is positive then the test has to be rule inconclusive. That test was positive; therefore the only way they can tell if the spinal cord has been exposed is to look at the MRI and the ultrasound. As of yet, the spine looks fine on both of those tests.



I learned recently that most prenatal tests are far more likely to have false positives’ (telling you something is wrong when it isn’t) then false negatives (missing something that is wrong when it really is there). What this means is take scary results with a grain of sand and it is ok to be reassured by comforting results. I’m not getting too attached to any test at this point.



Emotionally I think I’ve just been physically sick over the past week it’s been a nice distraction. Gotta love cold season. I continue to be encouraged and uplifted by all your thoughts and prayers and have even getting some support from some unexpected places. The nursery is on its way to getting done, thanks to my totally awesome sister Lori Jo Dyke we are going to get a tree painted any day now. My family came down last week and helped out with some things around the house. I really enjoyed spending time with my cousin Liz. Not only is she a blast to be with, but Liz reminds me that God is good. As a cancer survivor, who defied some doctors herself, she reminds me that things will work out in God’s plan and that I can trust that plan.



I have had some things on my mind that I’m not sure if I’m brave enough to share. Truthfully I am past it for now; the stages of grief tend to go that way, in ebbs and waves. Next time it comes along maybe I’ll be better ready to talk about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment