Saturday, July 31, 2010

estimated arrival time...

Thursday, January 7, 2010 as it happened to be, was the worst snowstorm of the year.  my mom came down to go to the ultrasound with us and at close to 6 me, David, my mom and David's dad began our journey to the nearest hospital with a level two ultrasound.  it should have been an hour trip.  it took us three. 

three hours of bumper to bumper traffic in blinding snow.  three hour of anxiously watching the gps push back our arrival time.  i nervously updated my face book on my phone, and took comfort in the friends who shared their prayers and awaited news.

later that day, after crawling out of bed and my pity party my news for them was this...

Thursday, January 7, 2010 at 5:50pm

Gideon Daniel has been diagnosed with a condition called microcehphaly. That’s a fancy way of saying his head is too small. It is very small, much more than normal. Though what caused this is unclear, what is clear, at least to the doctors, is that there is an eighty percent chance he (yes he) will be mentally retarded. It is too soon to know how severe this will be. He also has a smaller than normal chin which could cause problems with eating, swallowing, or breathing. We have an appointment at univ. hospital wed for a MRI that may provide more information about what is causing the microcephaly and how severe it is. We may not know until he is born if this was caused by something that will impact any future children we decide to have. They have recommended we deliver in a hospital with a level 2 nicu. It is clear to David and me that God is in control. He has a plan for our family. I am believing Gideon will do something great in this world and that he will point others to the God. More to come later...

No comments:

Post a Comment