Saturday, October 30, 2010

stewardship

just for the record, my mom is a wonderful woman and i know 100% that her words were not intended to hurt me. i could fill several pages and posts about all of the amazing ways she has supported me through this journey.  coming to visit and helping me clean, doing laundry and braving my man cave basement, taking time off work just to be with us while we waited for Gideon to come and then staying to help out weeks after he was born.  my mom is one of the most generous and loving people I know.

Not always the most tactful.  foot in mouth syndrome is genetic from what i hear...

with out knowing, or every intending she hit a very tender spot.  

From the response and support i have gotten, i am learning it is not a tender spot unique to me. It sounds like so many of us suffer from, as my dear friend Erin calls it, the supermom complex.  Where did we get the idea that our houses, our faces, our hips had to be so flawless?  No more TLC for you Kati, those design shows have put strange thoughts into your head.  Because really, the last time I went to a friends house, I wasn't looking for dust bunnies or criticizing her organizational methods.  I was too busy thinking how much cleaner her house was than mine...

I wish i had the time to do the research and i am going with my gut here but i really don't think that our Heavenly father wants us to be that way.  His call for us was to be good stewards, yes, but I don't think it's good stewardship of our emotional energy to be so critical our ourselves any more that it is to let our house fall in to utter ruin.

So, for today i am going to try not to be so hard on myself.  Or my mom.   

No comments:

Post a Comment